Co2 Laser Treatment Skin Care Treatment Regimen
- Use skincare as directed. Wash face and hair with an anti-bacterial soap the night before, and the morning of surgery.
- Do not wear any makeup or moisturizers the day of of the laser skin care treatment.
- Start at Retin-A and Hydroquinone 4% at least 4-6 weeks prior to laser treatment.
- STOP all Retinol products 10 days prior to laser treatment.
- Use Valtrex and Keflex as prescribed. (begin 3 days prior to procedure)
- SMOKING/TOBACCO CESSATION 1 MONTH PRIOR TO SURGERY
It is also recommended to schedule an appointment with our aesthetician before surgery, so she can review the most appropriate skincare regime to follow post op and beyond.
Post Laser Treatment: SKIN CARE INSTRUCTIONS- FIRST 24 HOURS
- Apply water or saline soaked gauze to resurfaced area for 20-30 minutes every 2-3 hours. Wipe off any white, yellow or gray drainage and apply Aquaphor ointment.
- Always keep a layer of Aquaphor ointment on the treated skin, keeping the skin moist.
- Do not allow skin to scab. If you should scab, do not force them off, as it may increase the risk of scarring. Increase soaks and apply Aquaphor until scabs come off on their own. The goal is to keep the skin looking pink.
- Reapply Aquaphor as often as necessary to keep the skin moist. Use Jell-O cool packs between soaks for comfort.
- Keep your head more elevated than usual and sleep with an extra pillow.
- A soft diet is recommended if the area around the mouth was treated. Avoid chewing, gum or smoking.
- Following your laser skin care treatment: wash the face 3 times daily with warm or cool water. Blot dry with a clean soft towel. Do not rub. Apply healing ointment and keep the skin moist at all times with Aquaphor until the skin has epithelialized.
- DO NOT USE HARSH CLEANSERS or NEOSPORIN OINTMENT
- Wash face with gentle cleanser such as Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser.
- Once the skin has epithelialized, return to the skincare regime as prescribed/recommended by our aesthetician. The post laser skin care regimen will be customized for your individualized needs.
- Avoid strenuous exercise, sweating, and any sun exposure for 3 weeks.
- Always use at least SPF of 30 or higher thereafter.
- You should avoid tanning for at least 6 months after laser resurfacing.
- You may generally use makeup approximately 2 weeks after your laser skin care procedure in Wilmington. It is a good idea to have fresh products that have not been open for a long time. Your doctor will let you know when you’re ready to begin this post-operatively.